Scientific Days Events Manager
Job Title: Scientific Days Events Manager
Department: Manson Unit
Reports to: Executive Assistant to Head of the Manson Unit
Responsible for: Volunteers
Duration: 6-month fixed term contract
Salary Grade: 3.1
MÉDECINS SANS FRONTIÈRES UK
Médecins Sans Frontières/Doctors Without Borders (MSF) is an independent and international medical humanitarian organisation. In over 60 countries worldwide, we provide life-saving emergency relief, including epidemic control, war surgery, nutritional assistance and primary healthcare.
MSF offers impartial assistance, based on need alone, regardless of ethnic origin, gender, creed or political affiliation. To maintain its independence from political interference, MSF relies on donations from private individuals for the majority of its income. This private funding gives us the freedom to respond to the greatest needs as quickly and independently as possible.
MSF UK/IE is one of 24 offices in Europe, Asia, Africa, America and Australasia, pooling funding, expertise and staff for field operations. MSF UK/IE works predominantly as part of Operational Centre Amsterdam (OCA), a partnership between MSF Holland, MSF UK and MSF Germany. Around 3,000 people volunteer their skills every year to work as international staff and the organisation also employs around 27,000 locally in the project locations.
MSF UK’s mandate is to provide technical, medical, human resources, financial and communications support to field operations. A team of around 110 is based in London with a smaller team in Dublin.
The Manson Unit (MU) is a multi-disciplinary medical team within MSF UK, and is part of MSF OCA’s Public Health Department (PHD) aiming to improve the quality of MSF’s medical programmes worldwide, so the best possible care is delivered to our patients. Established in 2003, the unit was named after the father of modern tropical medicine, Sir Patrick Manson. We focus on complex medical issues, using health intelligence, research and medical innovation.
The MU is a team of 35 comprised of medical doctors and specialists in infectious diseases, non-communicable diseases, health information systems, epidemiology, geographical information systems, medical editing and research communication. We also have a clinical trial team working towards improved treatments for patients with drug-resistant tuberculosis. We provide direct support to our field programmes through specialist advice on medical issues, implementing new ways of working, supporting research studies and outbreak response.
MSF SCIENTIFIC DAYS
MSF UK/IE hosts an annual conference presenting MSF’s organisation-wide medical operational research and innovation – inviting critical analysis and debate between MSF, non-governmental organisations and academic institutions to improve the quality of care delivered in the field and to improve the effectiveness of humanitarian assistance.
The MSF Scientific Days 2018 are in London on 24 and 25 May, in Southern Africa on 5 July and in South Asia on 16 July. This series of linked events promotes best practice, transparency and accountability in medical humanitarian work by sharing the most rigorous analysis and evidence with key stakeholders.
To plan and manage the successful delivery of the MSF Scientific Days 2018 London event working closely with the Scientific Days team to also support the wider events.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Planning and Organising
- Co-ordinate all elements of the London Scientific Days event. This includes sourcing and briefing the venue, audio-visual services, other event services suppliers and speakers; ensuring all relevant contractual processes have been carried out; managing invitation mailings and delegate responses, co-ordinating hosting arrangements; organising event collateral; on-site management.
- Work with the Scientific Days team to ensure the operational delivery of the conference is aligned with the strategic objectives of the conference.
- Co-ordinate tasks between Medical Research, Innovation and Support teams ensuring appropriate handover of tasks/actions as order progresses.
- Be the main point of contact for speakers, chairs and sponsors; ensuring they receive timely information and their needs are met.
- Manage the process for scientific abstract submission and review through an online submission system.
- Deal efficiently with enquiries form delegates, editorial committees, speakers and other stakeholders.
- Resolve any issues that may arise - in the planning and event days
- Responsible for planning and execution of a successful registration system.
- Prepare all related documentation associated with the event services, including but not limited to, run sheets, scripting, budgets, risk assessments, reports and correspondence.
- Manage the process and briefing of designers on the creative development and production of collateral.
- Ensure all statutory regulation obligations including following H&S guidelines and best practices, duty of care for volunteers are met.
- Ensure the conference programme retains relevant CPD certification.
- Arrange travel, visas, and accommodation when necessary.
- Ensure the standard operating procedures for the event are kept up to date.
Communications and Build Relationships:
- Ensure that all updates on the events are communicated in a clear, effective and timely manner.
- Build and manage ongoing relationships with the event sponsors.
- Liaise with MSF UK/IE Communications and Executive Office departments to ensure internal, external, and digital contents are aligned
- Ensure effective internal communication and the briefing/supervision of all internal staff before and on the day of each event.
- Manage the financial resources of Scientific Days events; preparing regular financial forecasts for the activities.
- Manage the Scientific Days budget ensuring to obtain best value for money for MSF UK/IE and in accordance with MSF’s financial policies and procedures.
- Ensure all expenditure is recorded and managed accordingly.
- Ensure the provision of accurate and up-to-date management information, reporting as necessary to the Management Team and board committees.
- Ensure sponsorship income in managed in a timely manner.
- Recruit, coordinate and manage volunteers for the event.
Analysis and Initiative:
- Post-event management: Collect available information of online audience to ensure measurable impact details, support impact survey; follow up; and prepare evaluation, final report and documentation of the conference
- Make recommendations to develop the event.
Please note that this list is indicative of the key responsibilities of this role but is by no means exhaustive. MSF is an emergency organisation and a ‘Can do’ attitude and flexibility to take on other related tasks is essential. This job description does not form part of the contract of employment.
Knowledge, skills and expertise:
- Proven previous events organising experience with overall responsibility for running both large and medium scale events; ideally medical/scientific conferences.
- Ability to plan, manage projects and prioritise conflicting deadlines and to deal effectively with changing requirements.
- A self-starter with proven ability to plan and manage projects with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication, team, and interpersonal skills.
- Diplomatic and tactful style of communication.
- Ability to work independently and to interpret briefs and instructions.
- Ability to manage and prioritise a busy workload and meet tight deadlines.
- Proven experience of tracking a significant budget.
- Developed evaluation skills with the ability to deliver continual improvement to the event.
- English language proficiency (written and oral)
- IT skills, including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Exposure to scientific/medical research and presentation.
- Experience of working in an international humanitarian NGO.
- Previous experience of supporting UK visa applications.
Candidates must hold an appropriate passport or permit to work in the UK
HOW TO APPLY
For further information about MSF UK, our application and recruitment process, as well as information on benefits and terms and conditions, please visit our website here: http://www.msf.org.uk/uk-jobs
Please check that you have included the following in your application:
- an up-to-date CV
- Letter of Motivation, which is a supporting statement demonstrating how you meet the key requirements of the role.
- Closing date for applications: 21 January 2018
- Interviews: w/c 29 January 2018
- Preferred start date: asap