The West African Ebola outbreak of 2014–2015 took a severe toll on the Liberian health system, which was already fragile and suffering from inadequate medical infrastructures.
Over 4,800 deaths were reported, including those of 184 healthcare professionals. Although health services are being progressively restored, important gaps persist, notably in under-funded areas such as specialised paediatric care and mental health.
In 2015, the Bardnesville Junction Hospital (BJH) was set up in Monrovia, the Liberian capital and the epicentre of the Ebola outbreak. BJH provided specialised and emergency paediatric care, neonatology services, management of complicated severe malnutrition, onsite training and an Ebola survivor clinic. The clinic offered medical assistance, including mental health. Further attention was given to strict infection prevention and control measures to enable the continuity of healthcare services in the context of potential Ebola outbreaks.
In September 2016, the Liberia Board of Nursery and Midwifery validated MSF’s hospital as a site for clinical skills training. The first group of nursing students completed their practical training in December.
During the year 2016, 8,200 emergency consultations were carried out and nearly 4,500 patients were admitted to BJH. MSF’s survivor clinic provided care to approximately 600 patients, and conducted an average of 240 consultations per month. In December, MSF’s patients were transferred to three Ministry of Health centres in Monrovia and the survivor clinic closed.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1990.
individual mental health consultations
|No. staff in 2016||161|
|2016 Expenditure||€5.0 million|
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (6)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (8)
- Antibiotic resistanceApply Antibiotic resistance filter (1)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (4)
- Health policyApply Health policy filter (1)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (1)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (9)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (10)
- Neglected diseasesApply Neglected diseases filter (2)
- Refugees and internally displaced peopleApply Refugees and internally displaced people filter (10)
- Sexual violenceApply Sexual violence filter (1)
- Speaking outApply Speaking out filter (1)
- Sustainable Development GoalsApply Sustainable Development Goals filter (1)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (6)
- Water and sanitationApply Water and sanitation filter (1)
- EbolaApply Ebola filter (82)
- HIV/AIDSApply HIV/AIDS filter (7)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (6)
- MalariaApply Malaria filter (5)
- MalnutritionApply Malnutrition filter (4)
- MeaslesApply Measles filter (3)
- Parasitic diseasesApply Parasitic diseases filter (5)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (4)
- 2017Apply 2017 filter (4)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (13)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (31)
- 2014Apply 2014 filter (43)
- 2011Apply 2011 filter (3)
- 2010Apply 2010 filter (3)
- 2008Apply 2008 filter (1)
- 2006Apply 2006 filter (2)
- 2005Apply 2005 filter (5)
- 2004Apply 2004 filter (3)
- 2003Apply 2003 filter (6)
- 2002Apply 2002 filter (3)
- 2001Apply 2001 filter (2)
- 2000Apply 2000 filter (1)